Saturday, August 29, 2009

Breakfast in Bed

Decided to do "my breakfast with Rachael" instead of dinner, cause I was craving french toast or I guess "freedom toast" to appease my republican readers :-)

Now I am also going to include the Three Berry Compote portion since it is apart of the recipe, but I myself just topped my french toast with maple syrup, as I do not dig berries on pancakes or french toast.

Ingredients
2 eggs
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch dissolved in a splash of water
1 cup whole milk
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
8 slices stale white bread or 6 slices thick cut stale bread
Butter, for griddle pan
Warm maple syrup, powdered sugar, cinnamon sugar and/or fresh berries for topping


Preheat nonstick griddle or skillet over medium heat. Beat eggs very well, add sugar and beat again. Add cornstarch in water and beat that in, then add milk and nutmeg. Coat bread thoroughly in egg-milk mixture. Lightly butter hot pan with butter nested in paper towels. Add bread to the pan and cook slowly, 3 or 4 minutes on each side, 2 to 3 slices at a time. Serve hot with your favorite toppings or Three Berry Compote

Three Berry Compote:
1/2 cup sugar
1 lemon, juiced
1/2 cup water
1 pint strawberries, sliced
1 cup raspberries
1 cup blackberries
1/4 cup maple syrup or honey

Combine sugar, lemon and water in a small sauce pot. Over moderate heat, dissolve sugar into water. Stir in fruit, coating it in sugar water and bring the fruit and water to a bubble. Reduce heat and simmer 7 or 8 minutes. Remove fruit with a slotted spoon to a serving dish and add maple syrup or honey to the pan. Thicken syrup 5 minutes and pour over fruit. Serve with French toast, pancakes or waffles.


The Verdict........well first I have to say that I think this is the first of Rachaels items that did not call for EVOO, although I guess you could use it instead of butter on the griddle or frying pan in my case. But let me get back on point......this stuff rocked, it was crispy, flavorful, really sweet and really just perfect, so much that I might just make this again at dinner time tonight. To make this a bit healthier, i but you could use skim milk and egg beaters and I bit the great taste would not change at all.

Until Tomorrow......

2 comments:

  1. Hi Brad! Occasional reader, big tame RR fan. Found you thru Madeline's Everything RR page. I love the receipe for stuffed french toast (w/sweetened ricotta cheese+orange/lemon zest) from the $40 a day book. Plus, you can actually read that book as opposed too cookbooks which aren't traditional reading material. Great pics of RR too.

    Just wondering, had you ever taped/DVR's any old Rachael programs (except the talk show which I dislike)? I kinda collect those. I know, I'm weird.

    Thanks,
    David

    ReplyDelete
  2. David,
    Thanks for the comment. I will have to check out Rachaels $40 a day book, it is the oly one of hers, i have yet to pick up. as for taping her shows, I have not really gotten into taping them, since rachael seems to be on the food network in some form about every half hour it seems, plus I think I am the only person in the world that does not have DVR.

    Thanks again for reading the blog.
    Brad

    ReplyDelete