Friday, June 12, 2009

Asparagus Pasta Salad

TGIF..........finally, I have been so looking forward to the weekend. Work has been fun,I have laughed a lot this week with friends, especially one that I call "Boo" and have been able to help her and others get stuff done, but it will will good to sleep in some tomorrow.....but I am working sunday.

Really needed a tasty meal tonight, so I was happy to see Asparagus Pasta Salad, a good solid veg-head dish, and it has one of my favs in it....Asparagus.....so here we go.........


Ingredients

1 small shallot or 1/2 large shallot, finely chopped(had to buy these)

1/3 cup evoo (got lots of this)

1 pound asparagus, thin spears(bought these and they look really fresh)

2 endive, cored and thinly sliced(had to buy these and unlike the asparagus, they were not looking to fresh at the store...damn you Hy-vee store and your lack of fresh vegetables........my friend karen warned me that this hy-vee store would screw me on the produce at times, but I did not listen)

1/2 small red bell pepper, chopped)ok, still had some bellpepper left over from the other night)

1/2 pound bow tie pasta cooked to al dente and cooled(bought a pound...hey I like pasta, what can i say)

1/2 cup frozen green peas(actually have had a bag of these in my freezer for like 2 years)

1/4 cup chopped parsley, a couple of handfuls(got it)

3 tablespoons white wine vinegar(got it)

Salt and freshly ground black pepper(got it)

Heat shallot and oil in a small pan on the stovetop over medium low heat for 5 minutes. Allow oil to cool back to room temperature.

Hold a spear of asparagus at each end and snap it. The spear breaks where the tender tops meet the tough bottoms. Line the broken spear up with the bundle of cleaned asparagus. Cut the spears using the guideline of the snapped spear. Par boil the asparagus tops in 1 inch simmering water covered for 3 to 5 minutes.

Cool under cold running water and drain. Cut asparagus into 1-inch pieces on an angle and add to a bowl. Combine chopped, cooked asparagus with shredded endive, red bell pepper, cooked pasta, green peas and chopped parsley. The peas will defrost as you toss salad. Pour vinegar into a small bowl and whisk in cooled shallot oil. Pour dressing over salad and toss.

Season salad with salt and pepper, to your taste and toss again.

The verdict..........this was a pretty decent pasta salad and I made it in 25 mins to boot.........tasty and filling...........and the cats give it a kittylicious two paws up as they tucked into some of the pasta with a real zeal.

If you are not a fan of asparagus as I know some people are, I would say, give this dish a try and it might change your mind about the vegetable.


Everyone have a good weekend...............

2 comments:

  1. Just stumbled upon your blog through Everything Rachael Ray blogspot. Interesting to read your RR recipes. One a day is quite a chllennge. But I enjoy her cooking, so Ill be reading:)

    ReplyDelete