Monday, June 8, 2009

Autumn Comfort Food

Well I am writing a bit earlier then normal because i have some great news.........one, tonight's dinner I had never had before, at least as far as the combination of some of the spices........and two, I have had a fantastic hair day today, I mean really, I had like four compliments on it and i swear, today I could have used my hair as currency in like the far east, it was just rocking today.

Anyway today's dish is Pasta with Pumpkin and Sausage, so let's get right into the ingredients.

Coarse Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste(Ok I got this stuff already)

1 pound penne rigate or rigatoni pasta cooked until al dente(Had to buy this and I went for the penne rigate as I have never been a fan of the rigatoni and I cannot say why,I guess I have never had a dish where I looked at the cooked and thought "rigatoni, nice choice"........but that is just me, you get whatever you want)

2 drizzles EVOO(I have this, and in case you are new to the blog, evoo is extra virgin olive oil)

1 pound bulk sweet sausage(had to buy this and I recommend when you are at the store, bypass the butchers counter and just get a one pound pack of sausage that is flavored with maple and sage, should be where they keep the bacon)

1 medium onion diced (got it)

4 gloves garlic minced(already got this, but I did by some new toothpaste, as I have noticed that garlic is a growing trend in rachaels dishes)

1 bay leaf, fresh or dried(I got lots of the dried, so I will use it over the fresh, because I find that with bay leaves, the dried seems to hold the flavor of the herb, just as well as the fresh)

4 to 5 leaves fresh sage, slivered(I have this, it is dried, but I am going to use it instead of the fresh, because I got like a half pound of the stuff, don't ask me why I have so much, but I need to start using it)

1 cup dry white wine(got it)

1 can, 14 ounces, chicken broth(had to buy this, which I hate using canned broth when homemade chicken stock is better...........but I am out....I might one weekend do a bonus blog entry and discuss how to make homemade chicken stock, it takes around 10 hours, but is easy)

1 cup canned pumpkin(had to buy it)

1/2 cup heavy cream(had this already)

2 pinches ground cinnamon(already have this)

3 pinches ground nutmeg(got this too)

Romano or Parmigiano cheese, for grating over pasta(I already have a container that already has both these cheese grated)

Put a large pot of water over high heat for the pasta. When water boils, add salt and pasta. cook according to package directions until al dente. Drain pasta.

Meanwhile, in a deep pot over medium heat, pour in 1 drizzle of evoo and brown sausage in it. Remove to paper towel-lined plate to drain and return pan to heat. Add second drizzle of evoo to pan and saute onion and garlic 5 minutes, till soft and sweet. Add bay leaf, sage and wine to pot. Reduce wine for two minute. Add broth and pumpkin and combine, stirring sauce until it comes to a bubble. Return sausage to pan, reduce heat and stir in cream. Season with cinnamon, nutmeg and salt and pepper and simmer 5 minutes.

To serve, return drained, cooked pasta to the pot you cooked it in. Remove bay leaf from sauce and pour sauce over pasta. Toss pasta ans sauce 1 to 2 minutes over low heat so pasta can absorb flavors. Top bowls of pasta with freshly grated cheese, and serve with green salad on the side.

The verdict...........this is by far the best dish I have made so far. The pumpkin, nutmeg and cinnamon, while at first sound like an odd choice for pasta, add such a fantastic flavor, it is hard to describe. This would be the perfect dish to eat on a chilly late fall day, a combination of flavors both familiar to the taste buds and yet all new at the same time. Very filling and honestly something I would buy at a restaurant.

The word from the feline community???? This is a hit with my cats too.

Well, that is pretty much it for tonight, good food, great hair, happy cats........a better way to end a blog entry, I cannot imagine.

Until tomorrow............

2 comments:

  1. Dude, you look very different, very healthy. Good work on the diet, man.

    ReplyDelete