Sunday, August 2, 2009

Fruit Fiesta

I was shopping grocery shopping after work and was purchasing various fruits and melons to make up some fruit salads for work this week and I ran across something called an Athena melon. I had never heard of an Athena melon, although it looked a it like a large smooth skin cantaloupe, but I like trying new thins, so i grabbed one. So I got home chopped it up and took a taste........it's cantaloupe....I did some research ad Athena melon is just an american cantaloupe, although it looks a bit different from the ones from europe that I think most of us are used to. So with the melon identified, I have made Margarita Melon Salad.

Ingredients

2 limes, juiced
2 shots tequila
2 tablespoons orange liqueur
3 teaspoons sugar
1/2 cantaloupe, seeded and cubed
1/4 honey dew melon, seeded and cubed
1/4 small watermelon, cubed


Many markets sell halved melons and wedges of watermelon, making it easy to prepare this salad closer to desired amounts. I myself save money buying purchasing the whole melons and chopping them down to size:-)

Combine lime juice, tequila, liqueur, and sugar in a bowl. Add melons and toss to coat with tequila and lime. Serve in shallow bowls.

The verdict........simply to make and a pleasure to eat.......delicious and refreshing.........this would go great at a cookout and also something that would be an item to make for a date if you are cooking for that someone special.

Until tomorrow.........

No comments:

Post a Comment