Saturday, May 30, 2009

Taco Bar

Well I am making Rachael's spicy chicken tacos tonight. My little nephew is staying with me tonight, he just turned six and wanted nothing to do with chicken tacos, so he got fast food..............

anyway, let's go over the ingredients.......

1 tablespoon evoo(got it)

1 and 1/2 pounds of boneless skinless chicken breast cut into small cubes.(I got a pound of this left over from the other night, but since my little nephew is stabbing me in the back and refusing to even try this, one pound will be enough)

1 small onion chopped(got it)

1 clove garlic, minced(got it0

1 cup tomato puree(had to buy these, but I got to use my hand chopper and it turned out fine puree, although, i hit the high speed too soon and striped my kitchen wall with tomato in a hurry)

2 teaspoons chili powder(got it)

1 teaspoon ground cumin(bought it and then found a damn bottle of the stuff later, so now I have way to much cumin in the kitchen for my taste)

A hand full of coarsely chopped Spanish olives(had to buy these)

A handful of golden raisins(had to buy these and had no idea they even made golden raisins, but they do and they are pretty tasty)

Coarse salt to taste(got it)

8 jumbo hard or soft taco shells(I bought this and went for the soft shells)

toppings(had to buy all of the following)
shredded cheese
diced avocado
diced tomatos
chopped scallion
shredded lettuce

Heat a big skillet(first time rachael used the word skillet, instead of griddle, which as you know is good, cause I do not own a griddle)over medium heat, add evoo and brown chicken. Add onion and garlic and cook another couple of mins to soften onion. Dump in tomato puree, chili powder, cumin,olives, raisins, and salt. Bring to a bubble, reduce heat to low and simmer until ready to serve. Warm taco shells in oven. Scoop filling into shells and pu on toppings. Serve with a green salad or chunk ed vegetables.

I have noticed that "serve with a green salad" seems to be the fall back side dish for most recipes. Green salad seems to go with anything i guess.

The verdict:

These are extremely tasty and seem a lot more fancier then the 30 mins it takes to make them. This would be the perfect meal to serve at a dinner party that would have your guests talking about it later.

Ok I forced my little nephew to try a bite and after he acted like he was going to die, he admitted they were ok, although my threat to not let him have any ice cream may have influenced his words, but hey, i will take what i can get.

until tomorrow

No comments:

Post a Comment