Monday, June 1, 2009

Italian Comfort

Ok, tonight we get back to a great vegetarian dish that rachael call's Emmanuel Nini's Caponata. I have had Caponata before and have generally find them tasty, although this recipe does not all for any sugar, so I will be interested to taste this one. On a completely separate note, I was given a bottle of MUG ROOT BEER and am drinking a glass as I type and I have to say, it is pretty good. I normally never think of grabbing root beer when I go for a soda, but I might have to start giving it some extra thought. anyway on to the ingredients.

3 gloves garlic minced(had these already)

1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper(got it)

3 tablespoons EVOO(got it)

1/4 cups golden raisins(got them from the other night)

1 red and green bell pepper chopped(had to buy these bad boys)

1 medium spanish onion chopped(ok, had to buy this and this time, the sign at the store said spanish onions, but I saw nothing special about them compared to other onions)

1 medium eggplant chopped(had to buy this and had to go to three stores to find an eggplant.........i found this odd, since I did not think they were ever really out of season)

1 celery heart chopped(ok, I would have had to buy this but i hate celery, so I am leaving it out.........sorry celery but you really suck as a vegetable)

1/4 pound green and black olives pitted(had to buy these from the olive bar at my local store)

3 tablespoons capers(got them)

1 can 32 ounces diced tomatoes(had to buy it)

1 can 13 ounces cruched tomatoes(had to buy it)

A handful chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley(got it)

3 ounces pine nuts, toasted in over until golden(had to by them, but I foun them already toasted)

In deep skillet over medium heat, saute garlic and crushed red pepper in evoo until garlic sizzles. Add raisens, peppers, onion, eggplant, olives, capers, and salt. Cover and cook the vegtables, stirring occasionally until eggplant begins to break down. 7 to 10 mins.

Add tomatoes and parsley. Heat through. urn off heat. Serve caponata hot or cold with bread or tossed with pasta. Sprinkle with toasted pine nuts when ready to eat.

the verdict........I love it. I ate it cold with pita. I think this would also go well serves cold with bow tie pasta.

until tomorrow

No comments:

Post a Comment