Saturday, June 6, 2009

Way-Cool Dinner

Typing this one in kind of late, went into work late today and lost track of time. Did not make dinner until around 7:00 tonight, but dinner tonight was Mamma's Broccolina and Ricotta Pasta.

So let's get right to the ingredient list....

Coarse salt and pepper to taste(got it)

1 pound rigatoni(had to buy it, so I bought a couple of pounds so there would be extra)

2 bundles broccolini florets chopped or 2 heads o broccoli tops, shopped(Ok, I had to buy this, but first thing I did was look up to see what the hell broccolini is. Well it is a cross between Chinese kale and broccoli. I am not sure what fantasy world rachael lives in where new crossbred vegetables are plentiful, but it is not kansas. I was dumb enough to ask a store clerk for the stuff and she kind of chuckled at me..................long story short, tonights meal was made with broccoli)

1 cup water(got it)

2 tablespoons evoo(got it)

1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast diced(got it)

4 gloves garlic, mince(got it, but bought some anyway cause I was getting low)

1 pound part-skim ricotta cheese(ok, i found a container of this in the back of my fridge, but let's just say it had been expired a while, so after I caught it and threw it away, I purchased a new container)

6 to 8 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves tripped from stem and chopped(had some dreid, but bought fresh anyway)

a couple of pinches ground nutmeg(got it)

Put a large pot of water over high heat for the pasta. When water boils, add salt and pasta. Cook according to package drections, until al dente. Reserve 1 cup cookin water and drain the rest.

In a small saucepan, simmer broccolini in a cup of water, covered, 5 minutes,drain. If using broccoli, simmer 8 to 10 minutes to remove extract bitterness. Drain well. Heat evoo in a big deep skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and chicken. Cook until chicken is cooked through, 5 to 8 minutes. Add broccolini/broccoli, pasta, ricotta, the reserved pasta cooking water, thyme, nutmeg, salt and pepper to the pan. Toss until creamy, then transfer to a serving platter. serve with tomato and onion salad and crusty bread.

The verdict...............this was very tasty dish, flavorful, aromatic and made in about 25 minutes. This would be something you could make quite easily for a potluck dinner. Anyway, I am going to leave tonight's blog now as I am extra tired for some reason and getting myself to bed.

Until tomorrow..........

No comments:

Post a Comment