Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Tex-mex One Pot

Ok, tonight's dinner with Rachael is a pleasure to blog about, it is called Cajun Chili with Scallion Corn Cakes. I have decided that rachael knows her spices, I do not think it is possible for her to come up with a bland dish. I will say though that this is a spicy dish with some bite.........but it is a bite you will thoroughly enjoy.

The ingredients....

1 package Jiffy corn bread mix(had to but this)

2 scallions chopped(got them, but these are the last I have)

Butter, for the griddle)ok, I got butter from the other night still, and her she goes sayng griddle.......but know I will use a skillet)

1 and 1/2 pounds lean ground pork(ok, i did not have this, so I bought some freshly ground from my local butcher)

1 tables mexican chili powder(i have chili powder already)

1 tablespoon ground cumin(ok I got lots of this, bought a massive container of it like forever ago thinking I would be using cumin all the time, but then like nothing I have been in a cumin dryspell)

4 shakes tabasco sauce(got it)

1/2 medium yellow onion, minced(had to buy these......ok yea I know, i said the other day, I got extra onions, but they are not yellow onions, they are spanish, although I am not sure of that, the only thing I am sure of is that they were not yellow)

2 cloves garlic, minced(got them)

1 rib celery, chopped(ok, i am not using this, as you know from previous posts, I dislike that vile weed of the garden that goes by the name celery)

1/2 red bell pepper, chopped(got this left over from the other night)

1/2 green bell pepper chopped(ditto ;-)

1/2 bottle of beer(had to by this, cause I hate the taste of beer)

1 can, 14 ounces, of diced tomatoes(bought it)

A handfull of chopped cilantro(bought it)


Ok, follow the directions on the box for corn cakes, not corn bread. When batter is prepared, stir in the chopped scallions.

Meanwhile(back at the ranch), heat a pot over high heat and a skillet over medium heat.

Dump ground pork into the pot. season with chili powder, cumin and tabasco sauce and brown for 5 mins. Add onion, garlic and bell peppers and cook, shaking pan now and then for another 4 to 4 mins.

Rub the skillet with a little butter and wipe off excess with a paper towel. Pour corn cake batter onto skillet to form 4 inch corn cakes, cook until cakes begin to bubble and edges become dry, 3 mins. Keep finished cakes on a plate in warm oven until chili is done.

back to the chili. Add beer and stir up bits from the bottom of the pot. stir in the tomatoes and cilantro. Bring to boil and season with salt. top bowls of chili with scallion corn cakes. Serve with extra cakes and a chunked vegetable salad on the side.

Ok, like i said, this was an awesome dish that even kids I think would love, but again it s spicy.

One confession, this dd take like 50 mins to make, not because it was difficult, but sadly, I had VH1 on the television and got sucked into some story abut Stone Temple Pilots, otherwise, then could be made in 30 mins.

SO try this recipe it is the bomb and if you are not big on spice, just drop out the tabasco to cool it down.

Until next time........

No comments:

Post a Comment